Thursday, April 14, 2011

Persimmons: Is that like an apricot?

From what I've gathered the poem seems to be a retrospective snapshot of the line Lee walked all his life between his Chinese and American values, with an underlying narrative of the interplay between two cultures.

In the first stanza, Lee's American teacher slaps him for failing to recognize the difference between "precision" and "persimmon". In the following line ("How to choose/ persimmons. This is precision.") he implies that perhaps his error was not in comprehending the definitions of the words, but in pronunciation. He goes on to detail the precise and gentle art (and he really does portray it as an art) of peeling and eating a persimmon.
In his second reference to Mrs. Walker, Lee's portrayal of his teacher's treatment of the persimmon is telling. She "cut it up" and handed out bits "so everyone could taste/ a Chinese apple". The way Mrs. Walker handles the persimmon implies an unselfconscious disregard for the cultural context of her "Chinese apple"; in Lee's portrayal it is almost degrading. To some extent, the persimmon also serves as a sort of symbol of Chinese culture and of familial love, acceptance and respect. Given this symbolism, it's pretty clear that Mrs. Walker's cutting up the persimmon was brutal. Lee also recognizes that her persimmon is not ripe and sweet (symbolically doesn't come from a place of tenderness and respect), so he refuses to partake in her exoticizing of Chinese culture. He watches the other kids' faces sour to the Chinese apple's unripe bitterness.

The lines "I painted them hundreds of times/ eyes closed. These I painted blind./ Some things never leave a person" was to me the most poignant moment in the poem. I could probably write a page at least on these lines alone. But on some level, I actually found that the lines hearkened back to Lee's relation of his experience with Donna. In the simplistic sense, he forgets the words for dew and naked which represent a sort of tragic departure from his Chinese roots, yet he remembers to tell her "she is beautiful as the moon". That detail lends pathos to the moment, recalling his father's statement that "Some things", in this case that touch of tenderness and respect imbued in Lee by his Chinese culture, "never leave a person".

4 comments:

  1. I love how you talked about the persimmon as a symbol of Chinese culture. Great way to describe the tight knit family-oriented customs of the Chinese :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found it very interesting that you saw that "his error was not in comprehending the definitions of the words, but in pronunciation." I took that he had trouble with both the definition and the pronunciation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I read your post, I didnt understand this poem clearly. I thought the persimmon mainly implies the important memory of the author. I only tried to understand the feelings of the author, which is missing his father, mother, and girlfriend Dona. Now I can see what I missed before such as symbol of Chinese culture or brutal behavior of Mrs. Walker. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your analysis of Mrs. Walker's cutting of the persimmon to be beyond excellent. I really enjoyed reading it because all of a sudden, that passage seemed illuminated (thanks to you).

    I would have liked to see you talk more about the poem in general and particularly about his relationship with Donna since you probably would have been able to explain those to me too.

    ReplyDelete