Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Distracted: Off the page

It might just have been the way the play was interpreted by the company, but I realized that Distracted is not at all as subtle and nuanced as it reads. During the performance I felt hit over the head with everything: the characters, the stage set-up, the lighting; everything was a caricature.

The clips at the beginning were beautifully done. At first I was pretty startled by the use of technology in theatre (since I'm used to seeing Shakespeare, Wilde, etc.), but it was really refreshing and made the whole package a little less pretentious. I also absolutely loved that they overlaid two songs during the intermission; to me it was one of the more intelligently executed creative touches. I also noticed their stage was off-kilter and asymmetrical, and the screens were all different sizes, which subtly added to the chaotic feel of the stage.

However, the performance didn't quite live up to the play's creative direction. While some of the scenes were much more touching when performed, I honestly got a little sick of the lead by the end and the constant breach of the fourth wall was a little exhausting to follow (it was much less taxing on paper). The only time I felt the fourth was broken really effectively was when Dr. Jinks yelled about needing Adderall. The ending was also poignant when performed.

Overall, I enjoyed the experience and I realized that the play really does make for an interesting conversation starter on childhood and American over-medication, but the City Lights interpretation of it just wasn't my cup of tea.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it's interesting that you used the word exhausting to describe the experience of having the characters constantly appeal to the audience. I got the same feeling which eventually turned into irritation. Maybe that's why the play felt long--I never bought into the microcosmic performance of it onstage.

    ReplyDelete